Apparently there was an election in the US a couple of months ago. Being that it is football season, I had no idea. I was supposed to vote for something other than the Miller Light Player of the Game??? Anyhow, it seems the chap who won the presidency publicly promised his daughters that he would get them a puppy.
Since that pronouncement a lot of dachshund sites have been openly campaigning for President-elect Obama (I’m not making that up, that’s his actual name), to choose a dachshund (apparently there are allergy issues that might prevent that, but I have had dog allergies before, and I have had no problems with dachshunds – therefore, we are going to eliminate that as an issue). I love dachshunds. I have two dachshunds myself. I would not trade my dachshunds for all the money in the world.
President-elect Obama, I implore you, do not get a dachshund!!!
It isn’t political. And sure, it would be fun to see dachshunds in the limelight. However, the last time I checked the Constitution of the United States of America, the President has numerous important responsibilities. From experience, I know of the time and attention it takes to own a dachshund. The two are not a good mix.
Consider these potential headlines:
- President Obama late to State of the Union Address; Chasing puppy who stole his sock around White House residence
- Oval Office carpet chewed to shreds by President’s puppy
- President Obama to puppy at 2AM on White House lawn: “Would you pee already? I am the Commander-in-Chief and I command you to pee!”
- President Obama gets crucial 3AM wake-up call; Puppy wants to play
- Vice President Biden to undergo shoulder surgery; Job throwing ball for President’s puppy too much for 66 year old arm
- President Obama begins 2 week journey to Europe, Asia; Puppy mopes, stands guard at White House door
- Russian President Putin’s ankles mauled by White House puppy at start of summit; “I heard the barking at the door, but went in anyhow”
- President Obama takes no action on Farm Bill; “The puppy ate it. Honest”
- President Obama skips G8 summit; Has to take puppy to the vet.
- First Lady to Prez: “Quit signing bills! Make the puppy its dinner!”
- President’s press conference drowned out by barking puppy
- State Dinner ruined when President’s puppy poops on floor; French Prime Minister hospitalized after fainting into soup
- Presidential puppy chews open nuclear briefcase; President Obama issues apology to what remains of Albania.
Sure, any of these things could happen if he gets another breed of dog. Since I know nothing of other breeds of dog, I cannot be sure. But I am 100% positive that each and every one of the headlines above would absolutely become true if he got a dachshund puppy. So, please Mr. Obama, I beg you, do not get a dachshund puppy.
Think of the country. Think of Albania.